Level 2 Chemistry
Teacher in Charge: Ms V. Gray
Recommended Prior Learning
Require a minimum of 12 Credits from level 1 Science which must include AS 90944 Demonstrate understanding of aspects of acids and bases (external).
You may not take this course AND Level 2 General Science.
This course helps students to develop an understanding and use of central concepts and patterns in Chemistry, and the carrying out of qualitative investigations. Students will learn to apply their knowledge of chemistry to explain aspects of the natural world and how chemistry is used in society to meet needs, resolve issues, and develop new technologies.
The course includes 2 internal assessments:
- Oxidation-reduction reactions - carrying out and explaining these types of reactions.
- Quantitative chemistry - carrying out a titration to analyse the concentration of a chemical in a consumer product.
You will also have 3 external examinations:
- Structure, bonding and energy changes – explain how the structure and bonding within a solid give it specific properties. Calculate the energy changes involved in different reactions.
- Organic Chemistry – learn about the functional groups of key organic molecules and how to convert one to another.
- Chemical reactivity – explain equilibrium reactions and how they can be manipulated to increase production. Investigate acid-base reactions and learn to calculate pH and ion concentrations. Explore ways to increase the rate of different reactions.
Level 3 Chemistry, Level 3 General Science